In 1823, when the old South was at the height of its glory the spot on which the New Southern now stands was first mentioned in Jackson’s records, for on the first day of April in that year, the property was deeded to James Greer. In 1862, the house which had been erected there was used by Colonel Marsh, of the 11th Illinois as his headquarters, and for a period after the war Ben Gates conducted it as a hotel. In the year 1870, the building was used as a hotel by W. D. Robinson and in 1874 Mrs. Mary L. Trimmier assumed the management of the business, naming the house “The Trimmier House”. What had been complimented by the name of Hotel, but what in reality was little more than a boarding house, was transformed in 1876 by Capt. James E. Bright into a more modern and flourishing institution, which soon became a favorite haunt of the traveling public. In 1880 came the first forward step in construction.
Captain Bright replacing part of the old wooden structure with one of brick. In 1884 Mrs. J. H. Day purchased the hotel and soon made the Southern Hotel – the name she gave it – famous throughout America. Mrs. Day was loved for her graciousness and lovable personality. Her death in 1914 brought sorrow wherever she was known. In 1919 the hotel was leased to H. L. Hodge, who with G. W. Evans, as manager, operated the same until 1924, when the property was acquired by Messrs. A. D. Noe and Son of Hopkinsville, KY, who immediately began remodeling the building. In the summer of 1927 through the efforts of Messrs. Noe and Son, the movement was put on foot which has culminated in the erection of “The New Southern”, which stands today to grace the efforts of these gentlemen and the citizens of Jackson, who have so nobly rallied toward building this beautiful monument in the program of building a greater city. Mr. Noe imported antiques from palaces in Spain and Italy. The sconces were Spanish designs, created exclusively for The New Southern Hotel. Air conditioning was provided by blowing air over ice.
Built in 1927, the building known as The New Southern Hotel is constructed on reinforced concrete and masonry veneer. Originally costing $750,000 to build, the present structure costs approximately $7,000,000 to renovate. The New Southern Hotel was placed on the National Register of Historical Places on November 21, 2002. After a May 4, 2003 tornado caused substantial devastation of the building, Crocker Construction Co. has been instrumental in negotiating with the insurance company and renovating the building.
The New Southern is once again an outstanding landmark in downtown Jackson. The first 2 floors are commercial space. The original Lobby is rented for special events such as weddings, wedding receptions, class reunion, etc. Floors 3 through 8 are HUD Section 8 apartments for senior citizens. We are proud of the work and we enjoy showing off our building.
Carolyn Cherry, New Southern Events Coordinator
P. O. Box 2904 Jackson, TN 38302
605 South Royal Street, Jackson, TN 38301